05 October 2007

Driven To Conquering My Texture Phobias

For all of you who know me, and those who don’t, I HATE pudding, pie, jell-o, flan, and tapioca ¬– anything that jiggles and moves in odd ways. Anything with a remote texture of slime or goo. I will not eat it, I will not come near it, don’t even think about setting it close to me. I am a chocolate, ice cream, and cookie person. So what about this place has made me come to actually LIKE pudding? What is in the air that could have possible driven me to value a good pudding? I have finally conquered my texture phobias. I have overcome my taste issues and now am able to appreciate flan for what it is – surgery goodness. Yes, flan, I have come to like you. Hooray for gummy, gooey, wobbly things! I can fully appreciate them all.

In a country where I do not speak the languages, there is always the communication of appreciating good food. So I try everything, even if my mind is screaming, “No, don’t eat it, it’s moving!” I make myself pick up the fork and put a bit into my mouth. I chew, and find that despite the texture, “Oh my god, it actually tastes good!”

1 comment:

Mom said...

Bravo, my dear!
Yes, when you put your mind to it, you CAN do anything! I'm convinced of it!

I'm so excited for you!